In 2007 when Paul Richards was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma his family were stunned by the news. Paul was fit, healthy and had a happy family and work life. Paul began treatment which was progressing well and his family were slowly adjusting to Paul’s diagnosis. Everyone was hopeful.An admission to hospital however was to cost Paul his life and change his family forever.
On the 22nd July 2007, Paul Richards and Baljit Singh (both inpatients on the same ward) died as a result of being given lethal accidental overdoses of Amphotericin, a highly toxic anti-fungal drug often used during chemotherapy.
This powerful film is based on the testimony of Lisa, Paul’s wife who gives a moving account of the events that led to Paul’s death and explores the effects on their family.
Paul’s Story is accompanied by a short film that explores and analyses the multiple organisational and human factors that contributed to this avoidable error and questions the systems we use to “alert” hospitals to such hazards.
“Beautiful, moving film which connects emotion with the urgent need for change. AvMA is proud to be working with you Lisa, and your family must be so proud both of you and Paul.”
Peter Walsh, AvMA
Use of this film
There are some licence conditions to viewing this film.
Paul’s Story can be viewed here for the purposes of preview and personal learning at no direct cost to the end user. This online film version cannot be viewed more widely without an appropriate licence. Please respect our copyright; we can only afford to make these resources available and run this website if people do.
We are however very keen for our films to be viewed in a wider context and reach as broad an audience as possible. So if you do wish to use one or more of our films across your organisation in a development programme either in face to face sessions or in e-learning; or if you are an educational institution providing formal learning or training programmes, you will need to purchase an educational/organisational licence.